For years I struggled with what to eat before going to the gym in the morning or what to have as a quick snack before a run, when I discovered these CBD energy balls I was ecstatic. I grab two out of the fridge almost every morning on my way to the gym. So what makes these the perfect pre or post workout snack, it’s the simple clean ingredients.
There are many health benefits of oats. They are a great source of fiber, vitamin and minerals, and beta glucan. Carbs make up about 66% of oatmeal, which fuels your body with the energy it needs.
Peanut butter is a good source of protein. Protein is important in fueling your body and assists in circulating oxygen in through your blood. Natural peanut butters work best because they tend to be more oily.
Honey is a good alternative to sugar as a sweetener. If you want a true sugar free product, you can substitute the honey with a sugar free maple syrup.
Who doesn’t love chocolate? I prefer using the mini chocolate chips for this recipe because they mix in easier. Try using dark chocolate instead of milk chocolate. Dark chocolate is believed to have many health benefits such as being a great source of antioxidants and improved blood flow.
Be careful when purchasing coconut flakes, some brands add sugar to make the coconut flakes sweeter. Because coconut is high in fiber and fat it can potentially help stabilize blood sugar levels.
Ground Flax Seeds
First thing first, I highly recommend you use ground flax seeds not whole flax seeds for this recipe. I found that if I used whole flax seeds it was too hard to get all of the ingredients to mix together without adding a lot more peanut butter. Additionally, ground flax seeds are easier for your body to digest. Flax seeds are a great source of plant-based protein, which will keep you feeling full longer. They are also a great source of Omega-3 Fats, which is one of the essential fats that our bodies can’t make.
For this recipe I like to use a Natural CBD oil, you can use a flavored CBD oil if that is all you have on hand, but it will definitely change the overall flavor of the finished product. Full Spectrum CBD oil is believed to help support a sense of calm, enhance exercise recovery, and manage signs of common daily stresses.*
RECIPE & DIRECTIONS
- Recipe makes about 30 CBD Energy Balls
- 3 Cups Quick Oats
- 1 ½ Cup Peanut Butter
- ¾ Cup Honey
- ½ Cup Mini Chocolate Chips
- ½ Cup Coconut Flakes
- ⅓ Cup Ground Flax Seeds
- 30 Drops of CBD Oil (1 Drop equals 0.5mL)
- In a small bowl, heat honey in the microwave until it is easy to stir. Add CBD drops to honey and stir until the ingredients are fully mixed.
- Do not add CBD oil to the bowl before microwaving, the heat could make the CBD less effective.
- If you do not mix the CBD with the honey separate from the other ingredients, it is hard to get an even quantity of CBD in each energy ball.
- In a large bowl, mix quick oats, peanut butter, honey/cbd mixture, mini chocolate chips, coconut flakes, and ground flax seeds.
- For easier mixing, microwave the peanut butter for 30 seconds beforehand.
- Place mixture in the fridge for 20 minutes.
- Cooling the mixture will make it easier to roll into balls in the next step.
- Roll mixture into small balls, about the size of golf balls.
- You can eat the energy balls right away, or place in zip lock bags or containers and store in the fridge for later.